Head of Design
Location: Gurgaon or India based remote
Salary: Available upon application
Profile (must haves skills and experience)
- Demonstrated Design experience
- 7+ years of design experience working on an Agile product team
- 3+ years of experience leading a UX team
- A portfolio that demonstrates:
- Problem solving: working with ambiguity; understanding the big picture; then distilling meaningful insights; and arriving at the solution.
- Design: breaking down complexity; discovering customers’ needs (stated as well as un-stated); balancing user needs, business needs and technical considerations and
- Direct experience in designing for digital product experiences in agile lean UX design sprints; designing complex, data-intensive applications; and flexing between design strategy and planning and design execution
- Design skills
- Education in Design, Design Methods, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) or related field
- Skill set includes: conducting stakeholder interviews; competitive landscape analysis, conceptualizing design; journey maps, persona & opportunity mapping; service blueprints; information architecture; patterns and design systems.
- Well-versed with tools to convey design & prototypes (Figma, Sketch, InVision or similar and Adobe Creative Cloud suite).Knowledge of tools like Jira or Monday.com an added advantage.
- Has experience across gathering feedback / usability testing, iterating and continuously working towards achieving product-market fit.
- Team leadership
- Led hands-on teams of designers with hybrid skills across research, design (UX/UI), business analysis, product design and service design.
- Great collaborator and ability to establish strong relationships with multi-cultural & cross-functional team members.
- Influencing design-led thinking across the business
- Strategic thinking
- Able to take ambiguous business requirements, work with stakeholders to clarify them, and propose specific approaches to meet them.
- Proactively identifies shortcomings and problems with the current state as applied to Kalido’s needs and proposes novel approaches to solving these issues that are not tackled by the current literature.
- Analytical skills
- Experience with how to use data and metrics to inform designs
The Head of Design is a strategic and hands-on UX role that uses both user research and interaction design skills to shape the direction of web and mobile experiences while leading and coaching a team of UX Designers. You will work on Kalido’s digital channels, Web, iOS and Android Apps solution. As a Design leader, you will provide design expertise across the organization, help inform priorities and roadmaps, and influence ways of working.
As part of a startup, your responsibilities would be:
- Collaborate on vision setting and strategic direction (20%)
- Work with the Founders to set a product and design vision. This includes participating/ leading customer discussions, including with senior executives, to understand their operating context, business priorities and pain points.
- Evolve the road map based on a diagnosis of customer and user pain points, customer value chain/economics, user data and trends, competitor dynamics, judgment on which opportunities to prioritise and achievablility from a design perspective.
- Ensure proposed design solutions will deliver product market fit and will generate customer pull resulting in sales. This includes considering build vs partner decision to achieve revenue targets and/ (sometimes) or deliver on our mission.
- Work with Founders and relevant Team Leads to map Kalido product modules to revenue aspirations, understand gaps and solve these based on Design inputs as appropriate/needed.
- Manage delivery of design vision and product roadmap in a way that is implementable by developers and extensible as required.
- Optimise Design operating model and build team (30%)
- Review and evolve Kalido’s Design operating model/ system to drive better user experience (which includes addressing feedback from current users on our UX) and faster designer delivery.
- Work with Design team to set and maintain the standard for UX/D tools, design to development processes and deliverables within Frontend; explore alternative tools as necessary to improve the design to development workflow.
- Facilitate component reviews with Design & Frontend Developers as required to maximise the use of standard components and in cases where custom components are necessary run problem solving sessions to ensure that the custom component can be added to the DSM and reused in the future. Maintain and own the DSM for mobile and web.
- Work with team leads & feature owners to evolve UX architecture (how concepts and journeys fit together and relate to each other in a way that maps to an information architecture and infrastructure agreed by the Lead Architect), and ensure new objects and concepts are properly documented for designers and developers.
- Initiate hiring of team members as needed and leverage your network to identify and attract great Design talent.
- Manage design team to deliver superior output (40%)
- Prioritise where we should focus design effort for detailing solutions; working with Service Designer to set priorities.
- Manage and coordinate Service Design to initiate, validate and challenge design briefs in line with the agreed product roadmap, and manage their transformation into specific tasks for product realisation.
- Ensure Design tasks are well-specified, and that the resulting work includes written documentation (in the Technical Implementation document, and other related documents) logic for developers (in both visual and written design collateral), screen and button flows (spiders), and new DSM components where relevant.
- Manage workloads for the entire Design team on a weekly sprint basis. Run the Design elements of sprint planning meetings: create tasks; manage the design backlogs for features and bugs; assign tasks to Designers;
- Provide quality control over design outputs and production and verify all work done working with other leads as needed.
- Ensuring that design and creative projects are delivered on time; develop and manage productivity and to continuously improve the design team’s production capabilities.
- Work with the Development and Quality Assurance teams to sign off produced features, and confirm that they are implemented as Design envisioned them.
- Inspire and lead the Design team, ensuring their growth and enabling them to be better problem solvers through collaborative peer reviews, one to one problem solving sessions and including them in the design review meetings.
- Provide regular, structured, constructive, and evidence-based feedback to all DEsign team members. Ensure you receive the same from them. Work with all relevant individuals to ensure that concerns are heard and addressed where relevant and feasible.
- Inspire and enable Kalido leadership to perform at a higher level (10%)
- Build, lead, and grow a highly collaborative team that stands behind the Kalido brand.
- Educate and coach teams on industry best practices and emerging lessons related to mobile and web platform development.
- Know the approximate current state of all priority issues at any time, so as to always be able to deliver a concise view of progress, risks, and pipeline timing for the Design team.
Kalido (kalido.me) is building THE ecosystem where one billion talented professionals and freelancers globally, and the half-million larger companies they work with, thrive together. Kalido is a full-stack, Saas solution for ‘right person right work’, built for today’s world of work. Traditional processes and platforms currently used by organisations to manage their end-to-end talent supply chain are high cost, fragmented, ineffective and talent unfriendly- much more so in a post-pandemic world. Kalido solves these problems by creatively virtualizing and shaping an organisation’s talent pools (internal, applicants, alumni, contractors, freelancers) and work specifications and using proprietary AI to accelerate ranking, matching, selection and deployment for them. Kalido’s feature set supports Recruiting and deployment, Upskilling, Professional Development, as well as Inclusion and Engagement.
We are a team of passionate problem solvers based across India, UK, and South Africa, who are constantly looking for new better ways, no matter how difficult the challenge. Everyone on our team is a true product owner, responsible for ensuring excellence. We move fast (but thoughtfully).
We value inclusion, impact, transparency, generosity, and teamwork. You can read more about our values and what they mean to us here. We are looking for someone who: shares our philosophy; is capable and excited about the role; strives for personal and professional excellence; and wants to make a meaningful difference through their work.
What we offer
Working at Kalido means working with a solid startup that has been around since 2015 and is currently going through the phase of intense growth. We have raised a total of $17M in funding (getting ready for series B) and are backed by HCL, a global IT player with a $40 bn USD market cap, and co-founded by the #3 core team member and early investor at Alibaba. Our efforts and mission have been recognised and we’ve been chosen by the World Economic Forum as Technology Pioneer 2020. We balance our drive for delivery with flexible working arrangements, company options, learning budget, and the chance to truly shape the culture you work in. You will never run out of fascinating problems to solve and will have incredible opportunities to work with a diverse team that cares about your growth.
How to apply
If being a Head of Design at Kalido sounds like something that leverages your skills and ignites your passion, we want to get to know you. Apply today.