Senior Machine Learning Engineer (NLP)
Location: London, UK
Salary: £85,000 - 95,000 + equity
About the role
Kalido exists to help create a world where people and organizations can maximize potential through a global community of valued connections and opportunities. We are looking for a talented and impact-oriented Senior Engineer that specialises in Machine Learning to join us. Kalido has to tackle a number of unique, challenging NLP problems unsolved by off-the-shelf models, which required us to delve into cutting-edge NLP research to find techniques that would help solve our problems.
In this role, you will be responsible for the NLP engines that allow Kalido to intelligently connect skilled people anywhere, anytime, for any purpose. You will extend our skill-matching and recommendation engines, build new models to enable insightful chat/media/document mining, summarisation, and identify mechanisms to support more inclusive group discussions. To do this, you’ll need to build flexible architectures that scale. Everyone on our team is a true product owner, responsible for ensuring excellence. We move fast (but thoughtfully) and you’ll also have a real opportunity to shape the company, and our collective ability to impact the world.
You’ll also be able (and encouraged) to publish the results of any work you do that is not commercially sensitive.
As part of a startup, your responsibilities will vary, but on a day to day basis, you will:
Engineer the machine learning system and manage the team
- Collaborate with data scientists, management, design, and other development teams to define, design, and build new functionality as required, using clean and efficient code
- Design, build and refactor our ML architecture, tools and data ops pipeline as we evolve, with maintainability and efficient abstraction in mind
- Continuously integrate your architecture with the rest of Kalido’s systems, ensuring seamless execution for everyone
- Verify, test and deploy new builds
- Inspire and lead junior developers, ensuring their growth
- Mentor other developers to help them grow, and to ensure our design and development efforts and ethos remain aligned
Maintain the system
- Troubleshoot, debug and enhance the existing codebase, driving towards a continuously more performant, more cost-effective, more maintainable, higher quality, and maximally responsive experience
- Proactively alert others to technical debt, and manage plans to address it without unreasonably compromising delivery timelines
Plan for the future
- Act as a product owner, with: zero tolerance for instability, a zeal for improving the development process and user experience, a desire to build team relationships that balance constraints on all sides, and a vision for what Kalido could do in the future
- Ensure you are up to date with NLP research, common ML tools and algorithms, data privacy and ethics guidelines, and updates to common frameworks including Python, SQL, and other relevant languages.
- Propose, evaluate, select, and integrate new technologies when needed
- Proactively suggest changes to balance cost, security, performance, and deployability
What we are looking for
We value inclusion, impact, transparency, generosity, and teamwork. You can read more about our values and what they mean to us. We are looking for someone who: shares our philosophy; is capable and excited about the role; strives for personal and professional excellence; and wants to make a meaningful difference through their work.
The opportunity is for you if you are:
- Experienced (have 3+ yearsexperience of commercial software development)
- A critical thinker, with a strong analytical mind and an ethical approach to development
- A computer scientist, with an advanced understanding of mathematics and statistics including 1+ years of research or commercial work related to machine learning
- Fluent in Python, SQL, Spark, any machine learning framework (Theano, Tensorflow, Keras, PyTorch, etc), and preferably familiar with multiple other programming languages and software frameworks including Golang, with a strong belief in the importance of testing, and comfortable with version-controlled development
- An owner, who is hands-on when driving projects and designing, implementing and deploying ML models
- Familiar with containerization, continuous integration and delivery tools (e.g. Travis, Docker, Git, ECS, etc)
- Up to date with the latest methods in NLP, deep neural networks, active learning, etc.
- Passionate about deep learning model optimization; and aware of infrastructure issues and potential bottlenecks for ML models
- Knowledgeable about systems architecture choices and performance trade-offs, database design and extensibility
- A leader, experienced in managing small teams of developers through the entire software development lifecycle, in maintaining and continually improving a lean software development process, and in delivering high quality code reviews, with a toolbelt of best practices for professional software development
- A builder who enjoys making an impact in a fast-paced and highly fluid environment
How to apply
If being an Senior ML Engineer at Kalido sounds like something that leverages your skills and ignites your passion, we want to get to know you. Drop us an email with your CV (including a link to your portfolio) and a cover letter, addressed to Martyna at firstname.lastname@example.org, or apply online today: