Senior Web Application Developer
Location: London, UK
Salary: £60,000 - 65,000 + equity
About the role
Kalido exists to help create a world where people and organizations can maximize potential through a global community of valued connections and opportunities. We passionately problem solve new ways to do this, no matter how difficult the challenge. Everyone on our team is a true product owner, responsible for ensuring excellence. We move fast (but thoughtfully), and are looking for a talented and impact-oriented Senior Web Application Developer to join us.
In this role, you will be responsible for: building the first web interface for Kalido; designing, developing, and maintaining our website; and leading part or all of the web development team. You will also need to ensure that your creations are secure, performant, easily deployable, respectful of device limitations, reasonably backward-compatible, cost-effective, and fit for purpose. In doing so, you will shape the company, and our collective ability to impact the world.
As part of a startup, your responsibilities will vary, but on a day to day basis, you will:
Build the product and manage the team
- Collaborate with management, design, and other development teams to define, design, and build new functionality as required, using clean and efficient code
- Design, build and refactor our web architecture as we evolve, with maintainability and efficient abstraction in mind
- Verify, test and deploy new builds
- Inspire and lead junior developers, ensuring their growth
- Mentor other developers to help them grow, and to ensure our design and development efforts and ethos remain aligned
Maintain the platform
- Troubleshoot, debug and enhance the existing codebase, driving towards a continuously more performant, more maintainable, higher quality, and responsive experience
- Proactively alert others to technical debt, and manage plans to address it without unreasonably compromising delivery timelines
Plan for the future
- Act as a product owner, with: zero tolerance for instability, a zeal for improving the development process and user experience, a desire to build designer-developer relationships that balance constraints on both sides, and a vision for what Kalido could do in the future
- Ensure you are on top of changes to browser rendering behaviour, web standards, security requirements, relevant software framework versions, and other material matters, so that we are always able to release quickly.
- Propose, evaluate, select, and integrate new technologies when needed
- Proactively suggest changes to balance cost, security, performance, and deployability
What we are looking for
We value inclusion, impact, transparency, generosity, and teamwork. You can read more about our values and what they mean to us. We are looking for someone who: shares our philosophy; is capable and excited about the role; strives for personal and professional excellence; and wants to make a meaningful difference through their work.
This opportunity is for you if you are:
- Experienced (3+ years of responsive Web development in a commercial context, using the languages noted below), with a strong analytical mind and an ethical approach to development
- A strong believer in the importance of testing; and comfortable with Git and continuous integration and deployment tools
- Preferably supported by a portfolio of published web software and/or open source contributions
- Knowledgeable about UX and UI, with a deep understanding of web standards, best practices and design patterns commonly used in web development, as well as the impact of design and content changes on searchability and load times
- A leader, experienced in managing small teams of developers through the entire software development lifecycle, in maintaining and continually improving a lean software development process, and in delivering high quality code reviews, with a toolbelt of best practices for professional software development
- Passionate about extracting every last ounce of performance from mobile and desktop browsers, and ensuring Kalido maximises the benefits available from the full capabilities of the browsers we support
How to apply
If being a Senior Web Application Developer at Kalido sounds like something that leverages your skills and ignites your passion, we want to get to know you. Drop us an email with your CV (including a link to your portfolio and relevant repositories) and a cover letter, addressed to Martyna at firstname.lastname@example.org, or apply online today: