We might change this Policy from time to time by updating this page. When we do make changes, and if you have allowed us to send you communications, we’ll let you know by email (if you’ve given us your email address), so you can ensure that you are happy with any changes we make. If we do make any changes to the Policy in the future, we will never compromise our commitment to ensuring your privacy and data are protected.
Who is this Policy for?
You. As a Kalido user, you’ll be protected and bound by this Policy. It sets out exactly how we collect, use, and share any information that you give us. If we ask you to provide information by which you can be identified when using Kalido, we’ll always point this out to you, and ask for your explicit permission.
What does this Policy cover?
All your personally identifiable information (let’s call this your ‘personal info’ for short) is protected under this Policy. So, all the personal info that you share with us is protected. However, the Policy does not stretch to the practices of companies or individuals that we don’t control. This could include, for example, third party partners.
Why is this Policy necessary?
To make the most of your Kalido experience, we have to collect certain personal info from you. This Policy sets out how and when we collect information from you, as well as how and when we use and share this data.
In order to protect minors, we don’t allow users under the age of 16 on Kalido. So, we also don’t knowingly solicit or collect personal info from anyone under the age of 16. If you are under 16, please don’t register. If we learn that we have inadvertently collected personal info on anyone under the age of 16, we will delete this data as soon as possible. If you believe that the personal info of someone under the age of 16 has somehow been shared with us, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll deal with the issue immediately.
What information do we collect?
We may collect the following information, and you consent to us collecting and storing it on our servers:
Information that you provide us with:
- Information that you’ve given us at sign up, or later. We store this on our servers. This usually includes your name, work history, contacts, networks, profile photograph and any third party account information you share with us, and you can always change your in-app settings at any time.
- Your contact information (including any mobile phone numbers and email addresses you have provided). We’ll ask for your permission to contact you, and we’ll use this information to send you push notifications, emails or SMS. You can opt out of any of these e.g. by changing your in-app settings, or following the Unsubscribe link on emails.
- Personal information that you provide to us (which may include your biography, employment history, your education, networks you are part of, and your interests).
- Your location information - Kalido allows you to share or not share your location information, but relies heavily on this data in order to provide you with many core features, including, but not limited to: matching, Nearby, Featured Providers, and ranking of any cards by distance. Should you choose not to share this information, your Kalido experience will be affected, as these and other related functions may no longer be available. As long as you have provided Kalido with permission to access your location information, Kalido will update this on a regular basis, within the limits permitted by your mobile operating system. Kalido only keeps a record of your last transmitted location, and does not keep a history of your location beyond this. Location data that has not been updated for more than six months will be automatically erased.
- Your phonebook - Kalido allows you to share or not share your phonebook for each device on which you have Kalido installed, but relies heavily on this data in order to provide you with many core features, including, but not limited to: Community and Karma cards, Nearby, Shared Contacts, Introductions, Invitations, and trust-based ranking of matches. Should you choose not to share this information, your experience of Kalido will be affected, as these and other related functions may no longer be available. As long as you have provided Kalido with permission to access your phonebook on a device, Kalido will update this on a regular basis, within the limits permitted by your mobile operating system. Kalido only keeps a record of your current phonebook data. If Kalido encounters errors while synchronising data, this activity may be logged for troubleshooting purposes. Any contact data associated with a device that has not been synchronised within six months will be automatically deleted.
- Photographs that you upload to Kalido.
Information that we collect automatically:
- Every time you interact with Kalido, we also automatically receive and record the following information:
- The IP address being transmitted by the device communicating with us, so that we can appropriately address information being sent to that device.
- A unique device identifier linked to your account, that lets us know which of the devices authorised to access your account is currently communicating with us, so that we can correctly synchronise any relevant data with that device (some users have more than one phone or tablet with Kalido installed).
- A unique user identifier linked to your account, that lets us know which user is currently communicating with us, so we can provide the correct data to that user.
The collection of this data happens automatically after we receive your permission. If you do not want Kalido to collect this data, you can stop it by deleting Kalido from your device, or by deleting your account. The reason we collect this sort of data, along with regular location and phonebook updates, is so that we can provide you with the data that is linked to your account, and with matches, Featured Providers, and other contact data that are relevant to your location and the search parameters that you have provided to us (e.g. “I want to meet...” and “I can provide...”).
Information collected from other websites:
We do not collect information from other websites, nor do we have any in-app advertising partners who collect information from you.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites, and such sites are not governed by this Policy. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question, as your interaction with these websites will be governed by their respective policies and practices.
What we do with the information we collect
First, we will never rent or sell your personal info, in personally identifiable form, to anyone. Personal info that you share is only used to improve your user experience of the services available on the Kalido app. For example, sharing your work history means we’ll be able to match you with someone in your network, who is more likely to share your work ethos. So, the more information you give us about yourself, the more we can match you with people who have things in common with you.
We collect this information in order to ensure that we can help you make the best matches that you can, and to make sure that the service we provide you is the best that it can be. In particular, we’ll need your information for the following reasons:
- Matching you with people who may meet your goals, and training our matching engine to deliver more relevant results over time
- Publicising the services that you offer (if you choose to share them with the public)
- Helping you know which contacts are near you; helping others know when you are near them; and helping new users understand who else they might know on the platform
- Making or requesting introductions to people (at your request only)
- Sending invitations to join Kalido (at your request only)
- Understanding user experiences and journeys so that we can regularly provide bug fixes, performance enhancements, user interface improvements, and stability improvements
- Internal record keeping
We may use the information to improve our products and services:
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you might find interesting using the email address which you have provided, if you have agreed to us contacting you for this reason.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax, or mail, provided you have agreed to us contacting you for this reason. We may also use the information to customise Kalido according to your interests.
We will also share the information with certain partners in order to ensure that we offer you the best possible experience. The people we share information with are:
|Partner||What we share||Why we share it|
Appsee Mobile App Analytics
|In-app user actions, events, screen visits, general user information, and session videos.||To understand where our users get confused in the app, or where they have poor experiences, we randomly record low-resolution session videos so that we can improve the user experience for all users. When we introduce new features, we will also use this data to understand whether the feature has improved the user experience.|
|Your display name, IP address, MAC address, username/login name, and device identifier.||To allow you to make VoIP calls to other users on Kalido, show you who is calling, and show others who you are when you call them.|
Amazon Web Services
|All data you have provided to Kalido is stored on Amazon servers, but not shared with Amazon, including profile data, activity logs, location data, contact information, account information, relevant matches, relevant featured providers, relevant introduction data, and chat data.||Kalido uses Amazon Web Services as its primary server hosting provider, so all data is stored and queried here in order for Kalido to be able to provide an account and experience specific to you, including: matches, nearby contacts, community cards, Featured Providers, introductions, introduction requests, and chats.|
|Your phone number, the fact that a Facebook user is attempting to sign into Kalido using their Facebook account (if attempted), the fact that a Google user is attempting to sign into Kalido using their Google account (if attempted), and a Kalido-generated user-linked email address.||To: enable login via SMS, email, or social accounts; understand user engagement, retention and journeys; to ensure single account access via multiple numbers, and to troubleshoot crashes.|
Apple App Store, and Google Play Store
|The fact that you have downloaded Kalido from the App Store (if you are an iOS user) or from the Play Store (if you are an Android user).||To allow Kalido to be distributed via the App Store or Play Store, and so you can restore your download in the future if needed.|
|Your Kalido user ID; your device ID; your device type (Android or iOS); Kalido-generated push notification text, which may include your first name, and names of certain contacts (without providing access to any other details of your contacts); services that you have inserted into Kalido; networks created on Kalido (by you or another Kalido user) that you have indicated that you belong to; the date and time your device was first registered with Urban Airship, and the date and time your device was most recently registered with Urban Airship.||To send users push notifications that are relevant to them, and that accurately reflect their communication preferences.|
|Your email address, Kalido user ID, Kalido-generated email body, which may include your first name, names of certain contacts (without providing access to your contacts) and application navigation links.||To send users emails that are relevant to them, to accurately reflect their communication preferences, and to allow users to navigate directly from the email to relevant in-app screens.|
Each session of the app records the following information:
The OS version on your phone, your device model, the app version in use on your phone, the instabug SDK version in use in the version of the app on your phone, your app token, your app bundle identifier, the length of your session, the number of your session, and the date on which the session started.
If a bug or crash is reported, the following additional information is reported:
The view on the app at the time of the bug/crash, whether your phone was connected to Wi-Fi at the time of the bug/crash, the name of the Wi-Fi network, if you were connected, the name of your carrier, battery level and state (unplugged/charging/ full), RAM, disk storage, session duration, screen orientation, screen scale and size, time when the report was sent, and device locale.
|To understand crashes, and issues that users manually report to us, so that we can improve the overall product experience.|
Mobile ad IDS (AdID - Android; IDFA - Apple)
Installation UUID (an alphanumeric string that identifies an Apple device)
Android IDs (a 64-bit number, unique to each combination of app-signing key, user, and device)
|To understand user engagement, adoption of new versions, and stability, so that we can continue to improve each of these metrics, and thereby improve everyone’s user experience.|
|Your UUID, on both iOS and Android, your device ID, your name, your last known location.||To distribute beta versions of Kalido to a limited number of users, and to understand crash data from all users in detail.|
Knowledge that a Facebook user has used Facebook to login to Kalido
Our email marketing opt-in list
|To enable login via Facebook, and to deliver advertisements and relevant Kalido updates on Facebook to existing Kalido users, and users who have logged in using Facebook.|
No information is shared with Slack Technologies, but we do share information from Kalido on our own Slack workspace, which is stored on Slack Technology”s services for use only by Kalido.
Service text (e.g. “I can provide…”, “I want to meet…”), an associated user ID, an associated approximate location (e.g. “Delhi, India”).
An indicator of why a first chat between two users occurred (e.g. because of a match, because someone saw a Featured Provider card, because someone was introduced).
|In order to understand the variety of services entered by users, so that we can better balance supply and demand through marketing messages to new users; and in order to understand which features (e.g. matches, introductions, Featured Providers) drive the most engagement.|
|Instabug data||When a bug is extremely high priority, its data may be forwarded to Trello so that developers address it more quickly.|
|Your user ID, device ID, firebase token, the activity logs (which includes user generated inputs) linked to this ID, partial user phonebook information only on failure to update.||To enable troubleshooting.|
We employ other companies and people to perform services for you on our behalf (these are our agents). For example, we may use a company to send you confirmation SMSes or enable social logins, allowing you to create a new account, login, and verify your phone number to Kalido. Our agents will only have access to the information necessary for them to perform these services.
In the future, we may also share info that’s been de-identified (in other words, your info is no longer identifiable as yours) in an aggregated form with our partners. This anonymous, collective information helps our partners understand how our users are using Kalido, so they in turn can provide you (and all our other users) with a better service. For example, affiliated businesses or advertisers will be able to show you relevant services that help you achieve your ‘meet’ or ‘provide’ services, as opposed to random messaging that doesn’t interest you. We’ll only share data with these affiliated businesses to the extent needed for them to service you. Please note that your interactions with these affiliated businesses will be governed by their respective policies and practices, and Kalido does not accept any responsibility or liability for their products or services.
In the future, we may choose to buy or sell assets to improve or expand our business. There is also the possibility that we are bought out or liquidated. If any of these scenarios occur, personal info may be transferred to a third party - but this will only be done in accordance with applicable data security laws. We will let you know as soon as possible if this is ever the case, and give you adequate warning so that you may delete your account in advance, should you wish.
How long do we hold your data for?
We hold your last location and contact data for six months from the time of collection. We retain the personal info connected to your account until you decide to delete your account so that you have continued access to the services. Should you delete your account, we will delete this data, and all other data that identifies you that we have collected (which we will have collected after you provided permission for us to do so). We may continue to hold data that has been de-identified, and is held in an aggregated, anonymised form, which we use to help us understand our users’ behaviour patterns.
How safe is your personal info?
You should only ever let trusted individuals have access to your devices, browsers, and apps. This is a basic safety tip that relates to all your online experiences.
Once your personal info gets to us, everything is secured on your device and our servers using AES-256 and SHA2; encrypted while in transit using TLS; and encrypted on a call using SRTP. We will also never transmit your exact location, so no one can reverse engineer this on their phones. We frequently review data security, and ensure that your data is stored as securely as possible given the technical constraints of the functionality that Kalido provides. However, as with all apps, unauthorized entry or usage, unforeseen hardware or software failure, or other factors which cannot be reasonably foreseen, may compromise the safety of the information.
How can you access or delete your personal info?
You can access your personal info, including your basic information, images, and chats through your profile. You can edit and delete your information from your in-app settings. You can also delete your entire profile if you wish. We’ll be sorry to see you go, but we’ll delete your personal info as requested. If you need any assistance in accessing or deleting your personal information you can contact us on email@example.com. However, we might still retain de-identified info (in other words, information that can’t be linked to you as an individual) in an anonymous, aggregated form to improve our service.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998 or the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679. If you would like a copy of the information held on you, please mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under California Civil Code Sections 1798.83-1798.84, residents of California can ask us for a notice identifying the categories of personal info which we share with third parties for marketing purposes, and the contact information for these third parties. If you’re a California resident who would like this notice, please mail us at email@example.com.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Turn location sharing on or off using the app-specific or device-specific permissions on your phone, tablet, or other device
- Turn contact sharing on or off using the app-specific or device-specific permissions on your phone, tablet, or other device
- Turn emails and push notifications on or off using the Settings function in Kalido
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting, if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
How often will we update this Policy?
We’re constantly improving our service, so we may need to update this Policy from time to time. We’ll put up a notice on our website, or if you’ve opted to let us contact you, we’ll email you, or notify you by push notification, to let you know as soon as possible. Any information we collect is governed by the Policy in place when the information is used.
If you have any questions or concerns, here’s how to contact a real human being
Our team is always available at firstname.lastname@example.org. We might need a few business days to get back to you, but we will do so as soon as possible.